How to Keep Plated Jewelry from Tarnishing and Fading
Plated jewelry has to be taken care of if you are to maintain the luster and brightness of the gold or silver. The following is a care regime for how to keep gold plated from tarnishing and fading.
How to Take Care of Your Plated Jewelry
1. The plated jewelry you wear must not be sprayed with perfume or any other sprays. Perform this task before putting on the jewelry so that the chemicals contained in the perfume or spray would not contaminate the metal of the jewelry.
2. The gold plated necklace, ring or bracelet must only be put on after the cream or lotion you have applied has been absorbed by your skin or has dried.
3. Tarnishing of the plated or metal jewelry can be easily caused because of reaction taking place with materials like perfume, oil, nail polish, chlorine and nail polish remover. Sweat can cause this problem too, therefore it is necessary to remove such jewelry items when swimming or exercising.
4. Remove any dirt or dust that might have stuck to the jewelry after every use by cleaning it with a soft cloth or a cotton ball. You can restore the shine to the gold-plated jewelry as well by rubbing its surface with a soft jewelry cloth.
5. Don’t make use of antibacterial soaps or jewelry cleaners for cleaning your gold-plated jewelry as chemicals present in them might tarnish it quickly.
6. Keep your gold plated jewelry in a separate jewelry box or place it in a soft cloth after cleaning to avoid any blemishes.
7. Watch a video to learn how to keep gold plated from tarnishing:
TYPES OF CARE
1. CARING FOR RHODIUM PLATED SILVER
Clean rhodium plated silver with warm water and a mild liquid soap (like ivory dish-washing soap). Rinse and dry with a soft polishing cloth immediately to avoid mineral residue from the water.
- Never use any chemicals on your rhodium items.
- Never use toothpaste and never brush with a toothbrush.
- Don't use polishing cloths that are intended for use on uncoated silver or for gold jewelry.
- Don't place in an ultrasonic cleaner.
- Never use abrasives of any kind.
- Never use silver dips.
- Never use ammonia-based products.
2. CARING FOR GOLD VERMEIL
Vermeil simply means gold plating over sterling silver. Sterling silver beads can be gold plated. It is a good way to incorporate the look of gold at a fraction of the cost, especially fo